Sunday, March 12, 2006

Well, let me see......

I decided to get on here and post something since it has been so long since I have posted anything. But once I got on here, I sat and scratched my head, trying to think of something to say. Compared to you jet-setters, I have done nothing, seen nothing, and tried nothing.

Oh yeah, Dad and I did go to the Habitat Store and found 22 sheets plus scraps of paneling that will be perfect for the interior walls of the cabin. Now mind you, I am not referring to that cheap paperboard stuff with the shiny finish that was so popular in the '70's, and which we used to finish the walls of Brian's bedroom in Mespo. I mean something that is only one step down from the real thing. The real thing, of course, would be 3-inch-wide boards that we would put up one at a time. This is 8-foot high, 32-inch wide sheets of thin pine boards put together in various lengths, with horizontal cleats attached behind, which stick out on either side like tabs. The tabs are staggered, so that when you put the sheets together, the tabs interlock like a jigsaw puzzle, and, tightly fitted together, it will look like one solid wall of 3-inch-wide pine boards. I think it will be very nice. We haven't decided yet how--or if---we will finish the paneling. We got it for $10 per sheet for the 22 complete sheets, and they threw in some chopped-up sheets free. I suspect it was used in someone's basement rec room. Most of the sheets are in perfect or near-perfect condition. I think if we were to buy them new (if we could even find them new) they would probably cost at least $20 per sheet. This will not only make the perfect interior walls for the cabin, but will save us having to do drywall, which is a huge plus. I doubt that it will be enough for the whole house, but it will definitely do the downstairs. Of course, we are not ready to install it yet---the next step is plumbing---but it is great to have it.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That is great news! We need to remember to check the Restore before buying wainscotting....