Saturday, February 11, 2006

County Wrestling

NW won the league again this year by an even closer finish than last year. The final score was Waynedale 187, NW 188. Last year we won it by 2.5 points. This was the most stressful and exciting tournament I think I've ever seen. Mike's favorite high school wrestler, Mat Shaffer (he considers him and his brother Kurtis to be his own sons because he has raised them from the beginning), won his with a pin in a match that he may have won anyway, but no one expected a pin. Spencer Hershey's match against a Waynedale senior was talked up all of this last week in the local papers and internet sites as the biggest match of the night that everyone should come to see. Spencer won in a thrilling finish - he almost pinned him but ran out of time as the kid was on his back. Mat and another sophomore named AJ have both been county champs the last two years so there is the potential for them both to be 4 year champs which does not happen very often. I know they both have two more years, but the difficult years are in early high school so they have gotten through the tough ones. Well, I suppose not too many people care about any of this, but I was so excited I had to let everyone know. On to sectionals next week!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Will anyone be down here for states, do you think?

Margaret Bowman said...

don't know yet. obviously we hope, and there are a few potentials, but you never know. mike says if mat shaffer goes, he will go the whole weekend. if anyone else goes, we will go only if they make it to the finals on saturday, same as in previous years when we had a placer. we will let you know as the time draws near.